Buckwheat has become my go to for any crunchy addition to cereals, slices or biscuits. It’s so satisfying to eat somehow! Despite it’s name, it has no relation to wheat, and is in fact classed as a seed rather than a grain, just like quinoa and amaranth. As a bonus its full of fibre and the essential mineral magnesium. We could all do with more of both of those! This combination is quite moreish so remember it’s still a treat to be snacked on with a cuppa or maybe with some milk after dinner for dessert!
*Gluten and dairy free – see recipe adjustments
Hazelnut Chocolate and Buckwheat Granola
2 cups buckwheat groats
2 cups oats (gluten-free for coeliacs)
1 cup hazelnuts – chopped
1 ½ cups coconut flakes
½ tsp salt
¼ cup coconut / rapadura sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup honey, brown rice syrup / maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil / melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract or powder
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Put the oats, buckwheat, coconut flakes, nuts and choice of sugar in a big bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil or butter in a pan over low heat, adding the honey, rice/maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Let it cool a bit then add your cocoa powder. Mix any lumps out of the mixture as much as possible.
- Pour this melted mixture into the dry ingredients and mix till everything is well coated.
- Spread mixture onto a biscuit tray lined with baking paper. Squish it all together so it’s quite compacted and bake for 15-20 minutes. At this point, turn the mixture over (may be in baked tether bits which is fine) and pop back to bake for another 10 minutes. You may need to what it carefully for the last 10 minutes as it can burn easily depending on the heat of your oven. Stir it around a bit to check every few minutes. Let it cool and store in an airtight container for a week or probably in the fridge for longer. I’ve never had a batch last longer than a week so it’s anyones guess!